Thursday, May 15, 2014

Asheville Restaurant Review: Mela




My husband Josh and I love to eat, but let’s be real, who doesn’t??? We got married almost a year ago and we probably eat out 4 days a week… I know, I know, I am not going to be winning any Wife Of The Year awards anytime soon. But the bright side is we know some pretty dang good places to eat in a 90 mile radius. (Yes we will drive an hour and a half for some grub.)


One of our favorite places is Asheville. Seriously, this city is a foodie heaven. While we love trying new places, it is hard to tear Josh away from Mela, an Indian restaurant in the heart of downtown. So I thought it would be an appropriate spot to talk about for my first post.


photo(343).JPG


Josh and I usually try to make it for the lunch buffet, from 11:30 to 2:30 every day and we always leave stuffed. Not only is it delicious, but it is a great bargain. Sometimes they even have a special for a buffet lunch and a local beer (they have Highland on tap) for only 12 dollars. I know what you are thinking, because I think it too… a buffet, seriously? But this buffet is constantly replenished with Chicken Masala, Tandoori chicken, chickpeas, Kheer and more. It is definitely the best bang for your buck.


But if you want a more romantic, less hurried atmosphere, going at dinner time is the way to go.


photo(341).JPG


I got the Seafood Aviyal, which was on special, and I was not disappointed. It had just the right amount of spices and it was full of shrimp, scallops and Mahi Mahi. I could have had leftovers if it wasn’t so good. Josh usually gets the Chicken Korma, but he’s also a fan of Chicken Vindaloo (if you don’t like spicey, stay away from the Vindaloo). Check out their daily menu here.


dessert(345).jpg


For dessert I had Gulab Jamun, which is deep fried cheese in a rich syrup: a perfect cap for a delicious meal. We usually end the night at the used bookstore across the street, or at the Lab to grab a brew and listen to some local music.


Price- $$
Kid Friendly- While they don’t have a kid’s menu, we have been there during lunch and  the child we were dining with had a great time.
Parking- Street (Sunday: meters are free or there are parking structures, specifically on Rankin Avenue that give you the first hour free)
Outdoor Seating- None
Location- 70 North Lexington Avenue, Asheville, NC

Much Thanks to Erin over at The Cornwell Fam for this review-be sure to check back for her June restaurant review!





No comments:

Post a Comment